Friday 21 October 2016

Devotional 22/10/16 – John 16:29-33 “You will desert me but I promise you peace”

21:54 Posted by Matthew Beaney No comments

Devotional 22/10/16 – John 16:29-33 “You will desert me but I promise you peace”
Trouble comes to all of us from many directions. So it’s vital that we learn to walk in the peace that Jesus gives.

To meditate/pray upon
John 16:29-33Then Jesus’ disciples said, “Now you are speaking clearly and without figures of speech.  Now we can see that you know all things and that you do not even need to have anyone ask you questions. This makes us believe that you came from God.” “Do you now believe?” Jesus replied. “A time is coming and in fact has come when you will be scattered, each to your own home. You will leave me all alone. Yet I am not alone, for my Father is with me. “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”’
Rom. 15:13 May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit’.
Everyone in this world will have trouble! But Jesus offers peace, in the midst of trouble, to those who will come to Him.
Trouble can come at us from many directions: relationships, physical illness, threat of war, family troubles, debt, litigation…
We also have to contend with inner strife: a sense of regret, guilt, anxiety, depression etc.
Jesus promises peace to His disciples by grace – they will all desert Him but He still loves and accepts them.  (v.32)
We have all sinned against Him, but peace is available to anyone who will come back to Jesus no matter what they have done.
Jesus offers us the peace of forgiveness. Peace with God is now available because God’s wrath and justice for sin was taken by Jesus on our behalf. We can now experience peace as we trust Jesus and receive the joy of the Holy Spirit.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.