Thursday 20 October 2016

Devotional 21/10/16 – John 16:25-28 “I will tell you plainly”

17:19 Posted by Matthew Beaney No comments
Jesus has promised that He wants to speak plainly to us. He wants us to live in utter confidence in who God is and our new relationship to Him.
To meditate/pray upon
John 16:25-28 “Though I have been speaking figuratively, a time is coming when I will no longer use this kind of language but will tell you plainly about my Father. In that day you will ask in my name. I am not saying that I will ask the Father on your behalf. No, the Father himself loves you because you have loved me and have believed that I came from God. I came from the Father and entered the world; now I am leaving the world and going back to the Father.”
‘Figuratively’ refers to teaching that has deeper meaning that needs to be searched out. Rather like the parables – they are accessible stories or pictures, but have a deeper spiritual meaning that those who were serious could search out.
What Jesus has just said is an example of such ‘figurative’ speech,
A woman giving birth to a child has pain because her time has come; but when her baby is born she forgets the anguish because of her joy that a child is born into the world.  So with you: Now is your time of grief, but I will see you again and you will rejoice, and no one will take away your joy. (16:21-22)
We, after the cross, having received the rest of the bible (yet to be written at this point) can understand that Jesus is speaking about his death, resurrection etc. but to the disciples this language was not clear to them.
Jesus had been speaking on a level that the disciples could cope with. Not until after the cross and Pentecost would things begin to be clearer.
In our verses today, Jesus mentions a few things that we should be clear about (I’ve only scratched the surface!):
·      V.25. About the Father – the nature of God, our adoption etc.
·      V.26. Confident prayer in Jesus’ name.
·      V.27. The love of the Father for us.
·      V.27. The nature of Jesus and that He came from heaven.
·      V.28. That Jesus has risen, ascended and is reigning
We live after the victory of the cross. Let’s ensure that we study, pray and work hard to have clarity on what Jesus is teaching.
Let’s think about this a little further using the Parable of the Vine and Branches as an example,
John 15:1-4 “I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.”
This is an example of ‘figurative’ language. Think about how confusing and unclear this would have been to the disciples at the time. Now think about what is means for you from all the advantages we have of being born after the cross, having the whole New Testament, and two millennia of Spirit- inspired teaching on such things. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.