Sunday 20 November 2016

Devotional Monday 21/11/16 – John 17:20 “My prayer is not for them alone”

20:23 Posted by Matthew Beaney No comments

Jesus’s prayer reveals God’s heart for those not yet Christians; and sets us the vital life-lesson that God’s work must be saturated with prayer.
To meditate/pray upon
John 17:20 “My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message…”
Acts 4:31 ‘After they prayed, the place where they were meeting was shaken. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke the word of God boldly.’
Ephesians 6:19-20 ‘Pray also for me, that whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should.’
Jesus prays beyond the church to those who are yet to believe. As Jesus spends these last few hours with His disciples, He expresses His heart, not only for them, but for those who are, as yet, unbelievers.
This prayer and the obedience and prayers of these and multiple generations of Christians, has led to you and I hearing the gospel and being saved.
Now the batton has been handed to you and me. Will we follow Jesus’ example in praying for those who will believe through our message?   
This prayer also contains a great promise: we can be confident that we will see people come to faith as a result of Jesus’ prayers. Jesus prays for those “who will believe through their message…”
It is Jesus’ will that the church is actively involved in mission; But Jesus’ prayer sets us a vital life-lesson that God’s work start with prayer. Let Jesus’ challenge us to ensure that we are regularly praying for our personal and church mission.
How are you doing in this?
Let’s make a commitment to spend some time each day praying for the church and our non-Christian friends that God has put into our lives. Pray that we would have opportunity and courage to invite them to church, carol services etc.
You can catch up on all the messages in the John series at:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.