Sunday 19 July 2015

27. Luke 16:1-9 Jesus on money teaches the us to learn from worldly commerce

20:24 Posted by Matthew Beaney No comments

This is the 27th post as I attempt to visit everything (pretty much!) Jesus said about money in the gospels over 2 weeks. In order to do this I will be putting up around two posts each day. This is coinciding with a 2-week preaching series that we are going through at Community Church Putney- Jesus On Money.

The Parable of the Shrewd Manager Luke 16:1-9
Jesus told his disciples: “There was a rich man whose manager was accused of wasting his possessions. So he called him in and asked him, ‘What is this I hear about you? Give an account of your management, because you cannot be manager any longer.’
 “The manager said to himself, ‘What shall I do now? My master is taking away my job. I’m not strong enough to dig, and I’m ashamed to beg—I know what I’ll do so that, when I lose my job here, people will welcome me into their houses.’
 “So he called in each one of his master’s debtors. He asked the first, ‘How much do you owe my master?’
 “‘Nine hundred gallons[a] of olive oil,’ he replied.
“The manager told him, ‘Take your bill, sit down quickly, and make it four hundred and fifty.’
 “Then he asked the second, ‘And how much do you owe?’
“‘A thousand bushels[b] of wheat,’ he replied.
“He told him, ‘Take your bill and make it eight hundred.’
“The master commended the dishonest manager because he had acted shrewdly. For the people of this world are more shrewd in dealing with their own kind than are the people of the light. I tell you, use worldly wealth to gain friends for yourselves, so that when it is gone, you will be welcomed into eternal dwellings.”’

Sometimes, when I look at some people, some of them ungodly, in business, I see a drive and wisdom that brings them huge business and financial success. People like Bill Gates, Jo Malone, Warren Buffett, Steve Jobs and Jack Welch etc.

Rather than being critical of such people, let’s learn from them. Here are a few things that I have observed about financially successful people:

1. Have vision- Jack Welch, during his leadership of General Electric, saw the value of the company rise by 4000%! He has personal wealth or around $1 billion.  He said on vision, “You’ve got to have a vision because you’ve got to rally people around a cause."
2. Have passion- Steve Jobs, when interviewed before his death and asked for the secret of his success, said, “You’ve got to love it. No one will be able to put up with things, they will give up, you’ve got to love it!”
3. Find what you’re good at – Jo Malone, founder of the fragrance company bearing her name which she sold in 1999 to Estée Lauder for “undisclosed millions” said, “The only thing I can do really well in life – I can’t drive, I can’t tell my left from my right – but I can create fragrance like no one else in the world.”
4. Be a learner – Warren Buffett, the single most successful investor of the 20th century, worth over 70 billion dollars, reads 5-6 hours every day, he said, “You’ve got to read, read, read.” He also spoke about the crucial role of learning from ‘Models’- “Copy people whom you see as successful.”
5. Have a great team- Warren Buffett said that in order to be successful you need to hire well – look for “Integrity, intelligence, and energy”. Bill Gates said, “My best business decisions have been to do with picking the right people.” Steve Jobs said, “You’ve got to be a really good talent scout, because no matter how smart you are you need a team of great people…”

Sometimes, very often in fact, Christians in their relationship with God, their mission to make Him known, and responsibility to disciple others, can be lazy. For some the attitude can be, “let’s just hope it happens”.

Jesus said something interesting when He taught,

“The master commended the dishonest manager because he had acted shrewdly. For the people of this world are more shrewd in dealing with their own kind than are the people of the light. (Luke 16:8)

We are to learn from the dishonest, shrewd, manager!


Jesus on money teaches us to learn from the ‘money men’ (and women), use the principles of investment and return for the Kingdom: Let’s be diligent and learn to make plans and invest in what matters. 

Take a moment to ask God to search you: Are you being complacent or are you humble enough to learn from successful people (spitting out the bones of course!) 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.