Monday 13 July 2015

18. Jesus on money teaches us to be merciful like our Father

20:57 Posted by Matthew Beaney No comments
This is the 18th post as I attempt to visit everything (pretty much!) Jesus said about money in the gospels over 2 weeks. In order to do this I will be putting up around two posts each day. This is coinciding with a 2-week preaching series that we are going through at Community Church Putney- Jesus On Money.

“When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left. 

“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’ 

“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me…”’ 
(Matthew 25:31-46)

This section leads on from the last post. In this chapter Jesus is talking about being prepared for final judgment- we are to be like the ‘wise virgins’, those who invest their ‘talents’ and like sheep rather than goats.

How do we know if we are sheep and will therefore inherit eternal life?

Jesus on money teaches us that how we use our money is an indicator of our identity as sheep or goats; if we are hard-hearted and unmerciful it points our not being children of God; if we are merciful in the use of our resources it is an indicator that we are God’s children.

As John wrote,

‘We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love our brothers. Anyone who does not love remains in death.’ (1 John 3:14)

Wayne Grudem speaks of this new life,

‘God through the Holy Spirit, in an unseen, invisible way, awakens spiritual life within. The change will become evident over time in patterns of behaviour and desires that are pleasing to God.’ (Grudem Theology 701)

Take a moment to ask God to search you: Are you being merciful with your use of money? Is there a person or circumstance that you could help?




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.