Saturday 16 April 2016

Keep in step with the Spirit part 2 (Galatians 5:16-17)

13:13 Posted by Matthew Beaney No comments

Galatians 5:16-17 ‘So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.  For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want.’
Christians have new choices; they can now choose whether to obey the ‘flesh’ (things that are not of God) or the ‘Spirit’ (things that are of God).
This, in particular, will be worked out in our relationships. We are constantly faced with choices to, ‘become conceited, provoking and envying each other.’ (v. 25) or to ‘serve one another humbly in love’ (v. 13).
In my experience, keeping in step with the Spirit, has become equated and relegated to seeking the more overt supernatural things such as praying for the sick, words of prophecy etc. Someone might say, "I was walking down the street and I felt the Sprit tell me to go into a particular shop, go to a particular isle, and share a particular name that God had given me with a lady in a red coat..." But, too often, Christians can be caught up with seeking the miraculous, whilst living in bad relationships – being divisive and difficult people! I know that I can be a difficult person and those who know me know it to!
It’s interesting to note that, in my experience, people often equate Paul’s command, ‘do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God’ (Eph. 5:30) with allowing the gifts of the Holy Spirit to flow freely in our meetings, when this is clearly, again, about having great relationships: ‘Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander’ (Eph. 5:31).

The flesh wants to destroy our relationships, but the Spirit’s abundant power is available to persevere with one another and build a glorious church. Let's keep in step with the Spirit! 




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.