Monday 11 February 2019

11/2/19 TREASURE BLOG 15 - LEARNING TO BE JOYFUL IN SUFFERING SERVICE (COLOSSIANS 1:24-26)

15:22 Posted by Matthew Beaney No comments



CONTENTS
  1. Come to Jesus Daily devotional
  • Monday – Learning to be joyful in suffering service
  • Tuesday – Suffering is joyful when it’s done for Jesus 
  • Wednesday – Teach me to wash feet with joy
  • Thursday – Love enables us to serve joyfully  
  • Friday – The affection of Christ enables us to have joy in suffering service
  1. Community Group/Family Study
  2. Further notes on how to handle suffering
  3. Outline of the ‘Come to Jesus Daily’ devotional method
You can listen to all the messages at:  Click this link to audio content
    For more information visit www.communitychurchputney.com


    1. COME TO JESUS DAILY DEVOTIONAL 
    These daily devotionals follow the ‘Come to Jesus daily’ devotional method (See the last page of this for a fuller outline)
    This week’s devotions are on the theme of joyfully serving the church, even through difficulty. Each devotional reflects on Paul’s words in Colossians 1:24
    ‘Now I rejoice in what I am suffering for you, and I fill up in my flesh what is still lacking in regard to Christ’s afflictions, for the sake of his body, which is the church.’
    We all face suffering to varying degrees throughout the course of our lives. We also, which can be harder, see others going through trials. This week we will look at how we can approach hardship and pain as Christians. It’s a mistake to believe that if God loves us (which He does!) and is with us (which He is!) that we will escape the troubles that come to everyone. But, for Christians, there is a way of enduring, flourishing and reducing suffering. 
    Paul, who wrote Colossians, endured great hardship as He sought to follow Jesus. It reads like an adventure novel,
    ‘I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again.  Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one.  Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was pelted with stones, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea…’ (2 Corinthians 11:23-25). 
    Clearly, Paul knew something about suffering that we all need to learn. He, following the example of Christ, was able to endure and have joy in the very things that make many people lose their faith! 

    MONDAY – LEARNING TO BE JOYFUL IN SUFFERING SERVICE
    Colossians 1:24 Now I rejoice in what I am suffering for you…
    How could Paul rejoice in his sufferings for the church? Many of us find it hard to like or even turn up for the church, let alone to suffer for her! What did he know, that I need to know so that I can have this kind of attitude?
    He could rejoice in suffering for the church because of how Jesus has treated him. Jesus says, speaking of a woman, grateful for forgiveness, “her many sins have been forgiven – as her great love has shown. But whoever has been forgiven little loves little.” (Luke 7:47) Those, like Paul, who know the love of the Saviour, will pour love out to others. 
    Another reason for Paul’s joy in suffering-servanthood is that he had faith that this was God’s will for him. He writes in the next verse, ‘I have become its servant by the commission God gave me…’ John Milton wrote, ‘The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.’ Oftentimes, the most miserable people are those who have choice and luxury with self-centredness; whilst the most joyful are those who have nothing, suffer, but have a clear purpose to serve others. Suffering for a true cause, such as God’s will, brings great joy. 
    We could say lots on this subject, but another reason for Paul’s joy in His sufferings for the church was his faith that there would be growth in some way. Elsewhere he writes, ’Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.’ (Galatians 6:9-10) 
    Like Paul, let’s ask for God’s heart for the church (displayed in the gospel) and learn sacrificial, joyful, faith-fuelled service. 
    Meditation on Colossians 1:24
    Colossians 1:24 Now I rejoice in what I am suffering for you…
    1. GC (GOSPEL-CENTRED) – What does the text say about Jesus and salvation through Him?
    As Paul was joyful in suffering for the church, he was displaying your character. You joyfully suffered for me and your church; As Hebrews tells us, ‘let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.  Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.’ (Hebrew 12:1-3). 
    You suffered joyfully. You were joyful because you saw what your death would achieve - salvation and restoration. 
    1. UP – What does it say about God – His worth, character, attributes, will, promises…?
    It is your will that I serve you unreservedly, and learn to suffer willingly and joyfully. You say, ‘Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. “Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven’ (Matt. 5: 10-12). 
    You, Father, are my protector. I know that any suffering that comes into my life can be brought to you in prayer. I trust you that any difficulties that I have to endure are for good, and that you can give me grace, by the Spirit to say, "I rejoice in what I am suffering for you.” 
    1. IN – What does it teach about God’s people?
    Paul could say of his sufferings for the church, ‘I have laboured and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked.  Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches’ (2 Corinthians 11:27-28). 
    Father, would you fill me with a love that is prepared to suffer for your people. May you make my church and Community Group into such a loving community. 
    1. OUT – What does the text say about non-believers and God’s mission?
    Paul’s love for the church, that we read in today’s text, also overflows to those who were non-believers; he was prepared to suffer for them, that they may hear the gospel. 
    As Paul is travelling to Jerusalem, he is warned by a prophecy that he was going to suffer; his response was  “Why are you weeping and breaking my heart? I am ready not only to be bound, but also to die in Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus.” When he would not be dissuaded, we gave up and said, “The Lord’s will be done.” (Acts 21:13-14) 
    Father, may you fill us with your heart for our non-believing friends. May we be inspired to sacrifice in prayer and action to tell them about you.

    TUESDAY – SUFFERING IS JOYFUL WHEN DONE  FOR JESUS
    The meaning of Colossians 1:24 is not easy to grasp. What does it mean to say, ‘I fill up in my flesh what is still lacking in regard to Christ’s afflictions, for the sake of his body, which is the church’?  
    Paul saw his (and other’s) suffering for the church as an extension of Jesus’ suffering – our distress is Jesus’ ongoing work for His people. 
    A good example of Jesus’ solidarity with His people (our suffering being His suffering) is exemplified in what Jesus said to the pre-Christian Paul as he persecuted the church, ‘“Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?” “Who are you, Lord?” Saul asked.“I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting,” he replied.’ (Acts 9:4-5). The church’s suffering was also Jesus’ suffering! 
    Following directly from this incident, a disciple called Ananias is sent to Paul to complete his conversion process. We read,   ‘the Lord said to Ananias, “Go! This man is my chosen instrument to proclaim my name to the Gentiles and their kings and to the people of Israel. I will show him how much he must suffer for my name.”’ (Acts 9:15-16). From the start, Paul is promised ‘suffering for my (Jesus) name’. 
    Likewise, you and I are called to say ‘I fill up in my flesh what is still lacking in regard to Christ’s afflictions, for the sake of his body, which is the church’; Jesus has more to do, and He wants to do it through our willingness to sacrifice in love. 
    Meditation on Colossians 1:24
    Colossians 1:24 Now I rejoice in what I am suffering for you, and I fill up in my flesh what is still lacking in regard to Christ’s afflictions, for the sake of his body, which is the church.
    1. GC (GOSPEL-CENTRED) – What does the text say about Jesus and salvation through Him?
    Jesus, you suffered ‘afflictions’ for me. Whatever my experience, you have had the same and infinitely greater. 
    How great was the burden of my, and the world’s sin, upon your sinless soul! Of you it is said, ‘Your eyes are too pure to look on evil you cannot tolerate wrongdoing ’ (Habakkuk 1:13), and yet you drank the cup of my transgressions. Isaiah prophesied regarding you ‘But he was pierced for our transgressions,  he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was on him, and by his wounds we are healed.’ (Isaiah 53:5). 
    1. UP – What does it say about God – His worth, character, attributes, will, promises…?
    Father, I thank you that you love the church - your people. You continue, through all times to care for them. Your love was demonstrated on the cross, and it continues to be shown by the men and women that you raise up and inspire to serve her through sacrificial service. 
    1. IN – What does it teach about God’s people?
    Jesus, please give me your heart for your people. Make me willing to suffer for them. May I ‘I fill up in my flesh what is still lacking in regard to Christ’s afflictions, for the sake of his body, which is the church.’ May you work in and through me with service that imitates your cross and that grows your church. 
    1. OUT – What does the text say about non-believers and God’s mission?
    As you were ‘afflicted’ for those who were lost, so may I be prepared to pray, work and be afflicted for the salvation of others. Your death is sufficient for the salvation of all, and through my suffering, in your name, you want to bring people into the joy of your grace. 

    WEDNESDAY – TEACH ME TO WASH FEET WITH JOY
    Just before His death, Jesus washed His disciples’ feet. His act has significance in a number of ways. First, and most importantly, it points to His imminent sufferings and death; these are the means by which our sins are washed away. In other words, this act is a demonstration of the gospel.  But, Jesus turns toward these disciples, and toward us, with a challenge: He asks us to live our lives shaped by the gospel – to be prepared to suffer, and die if need be, for one-another! 
    This relates to this week’s main text, where Paul says, ‘Now I rejoice in what I am suffering for you, and I fill up in my flesh what is still lacking in regard to Christ’s afflictions, for the sake of his body, which is the church.’ (Colossians 1:24). Paul knew that his suffering was a kind of ‘washing these disciples feet’; he knew that Jesus was pleased with his service, which was a reflection of how Jesus’ had loved him. 
    Meditation on John 13:12-17
    John 13:12-17 When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. “Do you understand what I have done for you?” he asked them. “You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and rightly so, for that is what I am.  Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet.  I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. Very truly I tell you, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them.
    1. GC (GOSPEL-CENTRED) – What does the text say about Jesus and salvation through Him?
    Lord, I thank you for your great humility. That you the eternal God should ‘wash my feet’! Isaiah saw a vision of you in which the heavenly beings were calling, “Holy, holy, holy is the Lord Almighty; the whole earth is full of his glory.” To such a sight Isaiah feels his sin and cries, “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty” (Isaiah 6:3-5).  
    What infinite grace that you should become a man in order to serve me through your death. My heart is filled with praise,
    “I stand amazed in the presence
    Of Jesus the Nazarene,
    And wonder how He could love me,
    A sinner condemned, unclean.
    How marvellous! How wonderful!
    And my song shall ever be:
    How marvellous! How wonderful!
    Is my Saviour’s love for me!” 
    1. UP – What does it say about God – His worth, character, attributes, will, promises…?
    Firstly, I see that you are a God of holiness. You say to Peter, who, initially, refused to let You wash his feet, “Unless I wash you, you have no part with me” (John 13:8). Of those who think that they can ‘wash themselves’ (be saved through good works) you say,  “do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!” (Galatians 2:21) 
    Secondly, you show us that you want our lives and character to be like Jesus – A life of faithful, loving service is pleasing to you.
    1. IN – What does it teach about God’s people?
    This text shows me that I am to serve the church like Christ has served the church. 
    Lord Jesus, I am often selfish and unfeeling. I am distracted by many things, and I often miss your opportunities to love people that you put into my life. 
    Give me grace to obey you and follow you in ‘washing feet’ (sacrificial service). Thank you that there is the promise of blessing for me, and all, who will live such a self-giving life; you say “Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them.” (John 13:17) 
    1. OUT – What does the text say about non-believers and God’s mission?
    An authentic vision of God will lead to a desire to make Him known (evangelism). In Isaiah 6 that we looked at earlier, the prophet’s vision of God turns to personal response, ‘Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?” And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”’ (Isaiah 6:8). Seeing God leads to being sent by God. Likewise, our vision of God in Christ that we see today – a vision of a God of sacrificial service on the cross – will send us to love and serve a lost world. 
    Lord Jesus, give me grace to make the most of every opportunity that you give me to serve my non-believing friends. May my life speak of the cross, even as my words also speak of the cross. 
    THURSDAY – LOVE ENABLES US TO SERVE JOYFULLY
    In the book of Exodus, we read of God’s instructions to build the Tabernacle (a movable temple) and the garments that the priests were to wear. Part of their attire was a breast piece. God directed, “There are to be twelve stones, one for each of the names of the sons of Israel, each engraved like a seal with the name of one of the twelve tribes…“Whenever Aaron enters the Holy Place, he will bear the names of the sons of Israel over his heart on the breast-piece of decision as a continuing memorial before the Lord. (Exodus 28) 
    For Christians (after Jesus has come) the priest’s breast-piece speaks of how He ‘wears us’ on His heart. He takes us into the holy presence of God. But, this garment also informs us that we are to ‘wear the church’ on our hearts in prayer and service. 
    This week we have been considering Paul’s words in Colossians 1:24 ‘Now I rejoice in what I am suffering for you, and I fill up in my flesh what is still lacking in regard to Christ’s afflictions, for the sake of his body, which is the church.’ We see that when people are ‘in our heart’, if they are dearly loved, if we have Jesus’ heart, we will suffer, joyfully, for their progress.  
    Meditation on Exodus 28:29 
    Exodus 28:29 “Whenever Aaron enters the Holy Place, he will bear the names of the sons of Israel over his heart on the breast-piece of decision as a continuing memorial before the LORD.”
    1. GC (GOSPEL-CENTRED) – What does the text say about Jesus and salvation through Him?
    Of Jesus’ priesthood, it says,
    ‘Such a high priest truly meets our need—one who is holy, blameless, pure, set apart from sinners, exalted above the heavens. Unlike the other high priests, he does not need to offer sacrifices day after day, first for his own sins, and then for the sins of the people. He sacrificed for their sins once for all when he offered himself.’ (Hebrews 7:26-27) 
    I thank you, Jesus, that you ‘truly meet our needs. The priest in the past entered the temple, on behalf of your people, bearing their names on his heart, to make sacrifices for sin and to pray. All of this pointed to you. You have come. You have entered heaven with my name, and the names of all of your church, on your heart. You have offered your blood for us. Such a high priest as you ‘truly meets our need’!  
    I remain on your heart. You will never let me go.
    1. UP – What does it say about God – His worth, character, attributes, will, promises…?
    These stones speak of how precious your people are to you. You have selected us by name. You want us in your presence. We have access to the ‘holy of holies’ - your very presence because Jesus has taken us there! I can worship and pray at any time and in any place because I have access to your throne room at all times.
    1. IN – What does it teach about God’s people?
    Sometimes people struggle to pray and worship. Maybe they are poorly motivated due to lack of understanding and faith; sometimes distraction gets the better of us; for some, they fail to pray and worship because they feel guilty - feel unworthy; for others, they have been taught to use formulaic approaches and expect little from God in terms of His presence. Let’s encourage one-another that, through Christ, we have access to the awesome presence of God. Prayer and worship should be inspired by faith, rather than obligation or pressure. 
    1. OUT – What does the text say about non-believers and God’s mission?
    We have access to God’s ear in prayer. Let this inspire us to pray for the mission of the church and for our non-believing friends. 

    FRIDAY – THE AFFECTION OF CHRIST ENABLES US TO HAVE JOY IN SUFFERING SERVICE 
    Paul did not just teach; he also sought to live as a model for others to imitate. He was able to say, ‘Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ.’ (1 Corinthians 11:1) When Paul said, as we have been looking at this week,  ‘Now I rejoice in what I am suffering for you, and I fill up in my flesh what is still lacking in regard to Christ’s afflictions, for the sake of his body, which is the church’ (Colossians 1:24), he is simply saying, I’m loving the church as Jesus would love the church if He were here in the flesh. By the Spirit’s grace, Paul was filled with ‘the affection of Christ’ (Philippians 1:8). 
    Paul has said much about Jesus’ love for the church in earlier verses of Colossians chapter 1: Jesus is presented as the ‘image of the invisible God’ (He is God come to earth); ‘Firstborn over all creation’ (He is in supreme authority); Paul says of Jesus, ‘For in him all things were created’ (He is the creator) and ‘in him all things hold together.’ (He keeps all creation in existence); but Paul then adds, which should make us marvel, that Jesus saves us by ‘making peace through his blood, shed on the cross.’ 
    Paul’s vision of ‘the affection of Christ’ was vast: this involved God becoming a man to die for sinners! If any of us, like Paul, will be filled with ‘the affection of Christ’ toward His church, then we also will be able to say, ‘Now I rejoice in what I am suffering for you’.  
    Meditation on Philippians 1:7-8 
    Philippians 1:7-8 It is right for me to feel this way about all of you, since I have you in my heart and, whether I am in chains or defending and confirming the gospel, all of you share in God’s grace with me. God can testify how I long for all of you with the affection of Christ Jesus.
    1. GC (GOSPEL-CENTRED) – What does the text say about Jesus and salvation through Him?
    May I have a greater grasp on the affection of Christ. May my life be directed from this source. Paul was able to say, ‘Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners – of whom I am the worst’ (1 Timothy 1:15). Holy Spirit, continue to deepen my gratitude for grace. I am often easily offended when I don’t feel that I’m being treated as I deserve; may the affection of Christ enable my instinctive reactions to be those of grace and mercy. 
    1. UP – What does it say about God – His worth, character, attributes, will, promises…?
    God, you see our hearts. Paul could say, ‘God can testify how I long for all of you with the affection of Christ Jesus.’ May you, Father, increasingly see a heart that is pleasing in your sight. As the Psalmist prayed, 
    ‘Search me, God, and know my heart;  test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.’ (Psalm 139:23-24) 
    1. IN – What does it teach about God’s people?
    I often fail to have love for the church. There are disappointments that can blinker me from the countless good things that God is doing. Paul, however, immediately after saying ‘I am in chains’ adds ‘all of you share in God’s grace with me.’ Despite difficulties, Paul remains secure in God’s love, avoids self-pity, and reminds the Philippians of God’s affection toward them. He is a man who knows and gives the affection of Christ.
    What is your attitude toward the church? Cynical, ‘fringy’, disappointed, bored, critical…? Pray for grace that, like Paul, you could say, ‘I have you in my heart’ and that ‘I long for all of you with the affection of Christ Jesus.’ 
    1. OUT – What does the text say about non-believers and God’s mission?
    How are you getting on with praying for 5 non-believing friends every day? (one of our church goals). Prayer is born of affection: affection for God - you long to be in His presence; and affection for those who, as yet, do not believe. Discipline can do some good, but love conquers all! Pray for the love of Christ so that you can pray like Christ. 

    2. COMMUNITY GROUP/FAMILY STUDY
    This week we are considering Paul’s words in Colossians 1:24-26 
    Colossians 1:24-26 Now I rejoice in what I am suffering for you, and I fill up in my flesh what is still lacking in regard to Christ’s afflictions, for the sake of his body, which is the church.  I have become its servant by the commission God gave me to present to you the word of God in its fullness –  the mystery that has been kept hidden for ages and generations, but is now disclosed to the Lord’s people.
    • Why do you think that Paul was able to rejoice in his sufferings in regard to serving the church? 
    • In what ways does serving the church require sacrifice, and how does one remain faithful and joyful? 
    On Sunday we saw that Paul was able to serve the church joyfully, even in suffering. In summary, he was able to do this because ‘Joy comes from doing hard things for the right purpose and people’. Like Paul we need to be convinced of these two things:
    1. I believe I’m serving God’s Purpose- He knew that suffering-service was vital for God’s purpose in growing the church.
    2. I love the People I’m serving –  Serving Jesus and His people were worth it and a joy to him. 
    • Paul says that ‘I have become its servant by the commission God gave me…’ He knew that he was called by Christ to serve the church. You and I have been chosen to serve the church for her growth! What bible texts would you use to help to build your faith in this regard? (1 Peter 4:8-10 is an example). 
    • A practical response to today’s study is to regularly ask people “How can I help?” Right now, in your Community Group, in pairs, ask one another “How can I help you in prayer this week’? Make a commitment to serving one another in prayer. 

    3. Further notes on how Paul could have ‘joyful, suffering service'. 
    • Jesus’ suffering and death brought about a great victory and so, likewise, he knew that painful service was the often a course to greater fruitfulness. (John 12:24; Mark 10:43; Phil. 2:5)
    • He knew that God was in control, was with Him, and was over his enemies and circumstances - He had faith in God. (Rom. 8:38-39) 
    • He embraced suffering as a part of God’s will. (1 Pet. 4: 12, 19) 
    • He knew that hardship is a means that God uses to sanctify us (make us more like Jesus). (1 Pet. 1:7; Prov. 17:3) 
    • Through suffering, Paul knew that he was being developed for more effective ministry to others (2 Cor. 1:4) 
    • He drew on the strength and joy of the Spirit so as to endure (2 Cor. 1:9; Phil 4:11-13) 
    • He trusted God for deliverance, and that He would do so at the right time. (2. Cor. 1:10) 
    • He asked for the prayer support of other Christians (2. Cor. 1:11) 
    • He didn’t allow worldly treasure, that’s easily lost, to rule his joy (1 Tim 6:6-11; Heb. 13:5)
    • He knew that there was a reward for those who remain faithful, even through trials. (Matt. 5: 10-12; 2 Cor. 4:17-18; 1 Peter 1:6) 

    4. THE ‘COME TO JESUS DAILY’ DEVOTIONAL METHOD
    This structure can be used to aid you in your devotions. 
    Begin by thanking God for salvation/the gospel (GC); Worship Him (UP); Pray for Christian friends and yourself (IN); Pray for your non-believing friends (OUT). As you go along, God will remind you of bible texts; turn to these, and pray/worship out of them. 
    This structure can also be used for bible meditation. As you read, pray that God would speak. As He highlights something in the text, use the following questions to help you meditate, worship and pray out of the bible: 
    1. GC (Gospel–Centred) What does the text say about Jesus?
    • What does the text say about Jesus and salvation through Him, and how will you now worship and pray in response? 
    1. UP – What does it say about God?
    • What does it say about God – His worth, character, attributes, will, promises…how will you worship and pray in response?
    1. IN – What does it teach about God’s people? 
    • What does it teach about God’s people – how He thinks of them, how we are to treat them? 
    • Is there anyone that you particularly want to pray for? 
    • This is a great time to pray for your Community Group and church. 
    1. OUT – What does the text say about non-believers? 

    • What does it say about non-believers and God’s mission?
    • What does this inspire you to pray or do in response for non-believers or problems in the world more generally?  
    • In this section make a commitment to pray through a list of non-believing friends that God has put into your life. 

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

    Powered by Blogger.