Saturday 10 December 2016

Devotional Saturday 10/12/16 – John 18:27 Dealing with regret Part 2

15:39 Posted by Matthew Beaney No comments

LAST JOHN BLOG UNTIL MONDAY 28th FEBRUARY 2017
Asking for forgiveness and giving forgiveness is too often neglected – I know I neglect it anyway (I’m sure you’re doing better than me but I write these blogs mainly for me anyway!)
To meditate/pray upon
John 18:27Again Peter denied it, and at that moment a rooster began to crow.’
1 Jn.1:8-10 ‘If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us.’
Matthew 6:12 “And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.”
Psalm 32:5 ‘Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity. I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the Lord.” And you forgave the guilt of my sin.’
Psalm 103:12as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us.’
Dealing with regret for our failures
In order to deal with regret for our sin we must:
·      Recognise our mistakes (even if others have sinned and contributed to it)
·      Confess our sin to God, express our decision to repent (turn from it)
·      Receive God’s forgiveness, give thanks for it
·      Confess our sin to people who have been affected by us (if wise to do so)
·      Move on. Learn from mistakes but refuse to entertain regret or guilt – it’s gone!
Dealing with the regret of what others do to us
In dealing with regret, it’s also important to think about those whom we need to forgive – those who ‘sin against us’. We can regret things that are done to us as much as the things that we do.
Forgiveness is vital in dealing with our failures and the failure of others toward us. To forgive is to not treat people as their sins deserve – it’s a living out of the gospel as we, like Christ, bear the pain of what has been done to us whilst refusing to take vengeance in thought of action. (refusing to take vengeance is not the same as refusing to get authorities involved if crime has been committed – please take advice on this)
Bitterness binds us to the past and allows the person and their sin toward us to continue to hurt us. Forgiveness releases us from the past as we give people into the hands of our perfect God who is also the perfect judge! As Lewis Smedes, wrote, ‘To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you’.
Forgiveness- It is a life-long commitment
‘This means that you keep on doing it - as long as you live. It won’t do to forgive today and then return to folly tomorrow. I know of a person whose wife said, ‘I thought you forgave me.’ He replied, ‘that was yesterday’. Total forgiveness is a life-long commitment; you may need to do it every single day of your life until you die. No one said it would be easy.’ (R. T. Kendall, Total forgiveness)
We can forgive because, like Peter, we have failed God but He has forgiven us. Gospel people like amazed that the Holy God should accept us in Christ and so understand and make the effort required to forgive others. As someone wrote, “To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you.”
Make giving and receiving forgiveness a daily habit
Asking for forgiveness and giving forgiveness is too often neglected – I know I neglect it anyway (I’m sure you’re doing better than me but I write these blogs mainly for me anyway!) When teaching His disciples to pray He included,
Matthew 6:12 “And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.”
Clearly we are taught to do this regularly, and don’t we need to!
THIS IS THE LAST JOHN BLOG UNTIL MONDAY 28TH FEBRUARY 2017
You can catch up on all the messages in the John series at:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.